I hesitate to write this post. I really don’t want it to seem like self-glorification. But lately I feel like I need to share something that I have done for years with my four boys. All of them are teenagers and as they have gotten older they have each received their own phone. I know a lot of parents bemoan modern technology and all the evils that come with it. I completely understand that thinking. In my mind there is also a great upside to technology – mainly that I can communicate with my children anytime and anywhere. In my mind why not use your phone for something good.
With that in mind I want you to know a few things I text my children regularly.
1. I Love You. Honestly, I don’t think any child care hear that phrase enough. They may get tired of it in some ways, but the meaning will last a lifetime.
2. I Am Very Proud of You. I send them this text after every big effort they make in life. I send it after their grades come out, after they sing in Church and after games. It doesn’t matter if they win or lose.
3. I Am Praying For You. I literally pray for my children every day. Occasionally God “puts it on my heart” to let them know that truth.
4. I Am Glad You Are My Son. I really can’t believe God has allowed me to be a part of these wonderful children’s lives. I am blessed beyond words.
5. I Hope You Have a Great Day. I believe that everyone gets down and they long to know that someone is rooting for them.
When it is possible I try to send them specific notes of encouragement but whenever my children cross my mind I drop them a text and let them know. Maybe you should do the same.