Today I am doing a little reflecting about my life. This has me thinking about two things. One is the way God created me. Two, the concepts that shape my life. Here are the biggest thoughts that guide me from the Bible. (All quotes are from the New International Version 2011 edition).
1. 1 Timothy 1:16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
– I am a miserable sinner, and God saved me. I pray it is a testimony to the power of God
2. 2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
– One of my life goals is to correctly handle the truth found in the Bible.
3. Matthew 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
– God has a desire to see more and better disciples. I give my life to this service.
4. 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.
– I am called to preach.
5. Acts 20:20 You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house.
– I preach and teach information that is helpful to anyone on a spiritual journey.
6. 1 Corinthians 9:22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.
– I will try anything to help people know Jesus.
7. Mark 10:42-45 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
– Leadership is about service. Nothing more.
8. Titus 1:5 The reason I left you in Crete was that you might put in order what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you.
– A Church leader, the pastor or preacher, has a responsibility to set things in order.
9. Hebrews 13:17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.
– I am to keep watch over people as one who will give an account to God.
10. John 3:30 He must become greater; I must become less.
– Everything I do is for God’s glory and not my own.
This is my list. I frequently revisit these passages to remind me of purpose in life and ministry. What passages guide your life? I would love to hear the thoughts that inspire you every day.