Let me be straightforward with you – there are days I struggle with feelings of worthlessness.
I look back at my life and see a mountain of disappointment and failure. The shame of my mistakes and sins weigh on my soul. I have lost more battles than I have won.
I look around, and I realize my insignificance. I do not lead a big Church or have power in my community. Most of the people who listen to me each week, care little about what I say.
I look forward, and I see no change on the horizon. I will keep leading my little Church in my corner of the world with no accolades or awards. Right now, I plan on preaching as long as God enables me and then I will fade into the background at retirement.
Most days I have every reason to feel an emptiness in my soul.
Whenever these feelings arise, I go back to my identity as revealed in God’s word.
1. I am created in the image of God. I am not just another animal thrown onto a planet by random chance. God knit me together in my mother’s womb. I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
2. I am God’s unique creation. When God put me together, he made me incredibly unique. I am not like anyone else. My thoughts, experiences, and dreams make me one of a kind. I am not supposed to feel like I fit in with everyone, my goal is to be God’s unique gift to the world.
3. I am redeemed in Jesus Christ. God loved me so much that he sent his son to die for my sins. Not only did he create me, but he fixes the bad parts through Jesus.
4. I am part of a family. When I came to Jesus, I joined a group of other people who were following him. Sure, that group has many dysfunctional issues, but they are still my family. Whenever I need support, all I have to do is ask.
5. I have a future in heaven. Jesus went to prepare a place for you and me. One day he is coming back to get me, or I am going to meet him. At that moment, I have the hope of Jesus for eternity.
Whenever feelings of inadequacy fill my mind, I go back to the essential truths found in the Bible. These are where my true identity is discovered.
No one can shout at me enough to remove these truths. No amount of failure can invalidate his promises. There is nothing that can separate me from my God.
Dark feelings will come. They will come to you and me. In those days, your identity will be tested. My thoughts are unchanged by circumstance. I hope yours are too.