Those who call themselves Christians accept the responsibility that we represent Christ wherever we go. This is true at our jobs, in our homes and even in our Churches. Each interaction we have sends a message about the Jesus we follow.
We ordinarily just tell people that on Sunday they need to be friendly. While that is true, today I want to be more specific. Here are ten ways you can be Christ to people this Sunday morning at Church.
1. Smile. Simple yet still inviting.
2. Shake Hands. Walk up to a stranger and say, “Welcome. I am glad you are here today,” while looking them in the eye.
3. Talk Nicely to People. Ask questions and listen to answers. Respond calmly and nicely no matter what they say. Use gentle words.
4. Help guests. Ask if you can help them find anything.
5. Don’t Gossip. You may think no one hears you telling those stories about other people in the Church. They do, and it hurts the cause of Christ.
6. Pray with & for People. No explanation needed.
7. Let Go of Agitations. This is not your time to complain about the preacher, the music and whatever wrong you feel is happening to you. A negative attitude hurts everyone.
8. Give up Your Seat (and parking spot). Save the best places for other people. Park far way and sit at the front.
9. Engage. If you talk and are disinterested in the music and the sermon, other people will get the impression that what we are doing is not important.
10. Don’t Be Weird. I know this is subjective, but try to act normal. Save your love of Star Wars or macramé or whatever for another time. You scare people who do not know you yet.
I know this is not a complete list of ideas. What might you add?
Just remember that your every word and action represents Jesus to the world. This might not be greater anywhere than in the Church.