I was looking through my computer at a group of older files I have about Church leadership. In my search I ran across a list I have had in the files for about 15 years. It is directed at Church leadership but it can apply to most of life. I do not really know who created it, but it is pretty good.
LEADERSHIP LESSON FROM THE LIFE OF JESUS
1. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love and trust them anyway.
“Father, forgive them. They know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)
2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
“And Jesus told them, ‘you are like children who don’t know what they want. John the
Baptist came neither eating nor drinking, and you said he had a demon. The Son of Man
comes eating and drinking, and you say I am a glutton, a friend of sinners.'” (Mt.11:16-19)
3. If you are successful you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
The crowds who cheered Him on Sunday and called Him King were the same who on Friday cried, “Crucify Him.” (Lk. 19:36-40 and John 19:1-6)
4. The service you render today will be forgotten tomorrow. Serve people anyway.
“Were not ten lepers cleansed, and only one returned to give thanks.” (Lk. 17:11-19)
5. Honesty and frankness will make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
“If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you.”
6. The biggest men with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men with the smallest ideas. Think big anyway.
“During the supper the Lord Jesus foretold that one of them would betray Him … the disciples questioned which one it might be, and a dispute rose among them as to which was the greatest.” (Luke 22:22-24)
7. People pretend to love the “little” people, but sell their souls to the “big” people. Fight for the “little” people anyway.
“Let the little children come unto me, for of such is the Kingdom of heaven.” (Lk. 18:15-17)
8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
“Judas came, kissed Him, and they took hold of Him…then all the disciples deserted Him
and fled.” ( Mt. 26:47-56)
9. People really need help, but may attack you if you do help. Help people anyway.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me…to preach good news…all the people in the synagogue
were furious when they heard this. They got up and drove Him out of town.” (Luke 4:16-30)
10. Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.
“Pilate asked them, ‘Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas or Jesus, who is called the Christ?’
‘Barabbas,’ they answered.” (Mt. 27:11-26)