Yesterday I blogged about the idea that it is important how we celebrate Christmas. As Christians we believe “Jesus is the reason for the season” but I see many people who act quite differently. So – how do we keep Christ in Christmas? Here are some ideas I have collected.
1. Read the Christmas story out loud as a family. Read Matthew 1:18-2:12 or Luke 1:26-38 & 2:1-20 (or both) together as a family. Have the father or grandfather read it or maybe go the other way and have the kids read it. Keep this story a bigger part of Christmas than “The Night before Christmas”
2. Have a Birthday Party for Jesus. This is usually a big hit with small kids. One Church I know has a big program for kids on the afternoon of Christmas Eve to do this. I know of another family that does this first thing on Christmas morning.
3. Sing Christian Christmas Carols Somewhere. Songs like “Joy to the World” and “Silent Night” and “Away in a Manger” tell the story of Jesus in a powerful way. Go to the home of an elderly Church member or shut-in and stand on their lawn singing about Jesus. It is usually a great experience for all.
4. Go to a Candlelight Service Somewhere. Numerous Churches have some type of program on Christmas Eve – ours is 5:30-6:30 pm. Find one that fits your schedule and attend. Take an hour to worship, pray and commune together focusing on the story of Jesus.
5. Budget. I mean this two ways. For many of us Christmas gets bigger and bigger every year. This is not because we plan to do it that way, it is usually because we have no plan to keep it from getting bigger. Budget for gifts and focus on the personal gifts rather than expensive. The second side of this is that we need to budget some amount to give to those in need. Set aside some time and money to give to someone who has a real need. Maybe that is locally, nationally or even globally with groups like World Vision and Samaritans Purse.
???? What other ideas do you have to keep Christ in Christmas? Comments are open.