I cannot imagine what it is like to live a life without faith. I mean that literally. My parents took me to Church on the first Sunday of my life, and I have been mostly faithful clear through to today. There has never been an extended time in my life without faith. I also mean that spiritually. How does someone live a meaningful life without faith?
My faith teaches me –
1. God created me. I am a child of God. He knit me together in my mother’s womb. I am not the result of a random DNA experiment. My life is not a mistake.
2. God loves me. God created me so that I could spend time in fellowship with him. He is the eternal father who is connected to his children in a profound way that words cannot express. Someone of significance cares about me.
3. I am forgiven. When I chose to walk away from God and openly rebel against his will, he chose to offer forgiveness in Jesus death on the cross. While at times I may feel guilt and shame, those will never define my relationship with God. I am loved beyond my mistakes.
4. I have a purpose. God created me, and then he recreated me in Christ Jesus. He takes both parts and shapes me to serve him in the world. I get to be the hands and feet of Jesus wherever I go. I am not just hoping my life has an impact. I know that God is using me for his purpose.
5. I have a family. I am not the only one that God created, loves, forgives and uses in the world. I am part of a group of people united by the same understanding and experience. There are people like me in almost every place on the globe. Just because of our similar faith we are connected without even knowing each other. I am a part of people who call me their own.
6. I have hope. This life is a journey of learning and growing until I reach a destination. My faith looks at the end of life with hope and joy. I believe there is a heaven, an eternal promised land, waiting for me on the other side of death. I do not look at the future with despair, for me, to die is gain.
While this is not an exhaustive list of my identity in Christ, these are the places my mind lands daily. When the world is telling me, I am just a pile of flesh that is here by random chance. When the people around me are whispering that I am not handsome enough, or smart enough or have achieved enough to have any real value. When people are fighting desperately against their final breath because it will all be over soon. When the world seems dark and depressing, and many have no love or hope. I understand that my faith has made me different.
My life has infinite value and worth. No one can tell me any different.